Current UCSC students, faculty, and staff may borrow laptops from the Science & Engineering Library Circulation Desk and the McHenry Library Circulation Desk. Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis. They may be reserved one-day in advance. One laptop per person may be checked out.
What you need to borrow a laptop
- In person with a photo ID
- A library account in good standing
- Flash Drive is recommended (to save your work and take it away with you)
- Laptop holds must be made in person
What you get
Science & Engineering Library:
- The normal loan period is for approximately 4 hours (rounded to nearest hour).
- Renewals are allowed when there is no one waiting. Laptop renewals must be done in-person.
- Failure to return the laptop on time will result in an hourly fine.
- The University Library reserves the right to deny checkout privileges based on past abuses.
- The borrower agrees to return the laptop equipment in the same order and condition as when received and if such equipment is damaged or lost while on loan, agrees to reimburse the university for the costs of repair or replacement with new equipment of the same type.
- Overdue charges of $5.00 for the first hour or partial hour and $2.00 for each hour or partial hour thereafter until a maximum of $75.00 are assessed if the laptop is not returned on time.
- There is no grace period.
- Please report loss, damage, or defect to the Circulation Desk immediately.
Printing Your Work
- Printing is currently unavailable on laptops or iPads.
- Please, do not leave the library laptops unattended. You are responsible for the laptop checked out to you. The Library is not responsible for loss while checked out to you.
- Personal software may not be loaded onto the laptop. No user files will be retained on the hard disk.
- For technical questions about operation of the library laptops, please go to the IT Help Desk.
- Please report any hardware or software problems to Circulation staff when returning the laptop.